Are you passionate about gun control? Worried that this subject will take a back seat in the legislature? Keep discussions in the public eye and shape public opinion by writing a letter to the editor!
Below are tips for writing a letter to the editor.
- Send your letter in the body of an email (attachments are often ignored as they may contain viruses) and address the letter directly to the editor or “To the Editor”.
- Keep it brief. Shorter letters have a better chance of being published – 300 words or less. Make sure your key points are addressed in the first paragraph.
- Sign the letter with your full name and be sure to include your contact information. Newspapers will not print anonymous letters (though they can withhold your name on request). Letters can be published with multiple signers.
- Bangor Daily News: Submitted online.
- Lewiston Sun Journal: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kennebec Journal (Augusta): Submitted online.
- Morning Sentinel (Waterville): Submitted online.
- Portland Press Herald: Email email@example.com.
- Portland Daily Sun: Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Forecaster: Email email@example.com.
- The Munjoy Hill Observer: Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The West End News: Email TheWestEndNews@yahoo.com.
- The Bollard: Email email@example.com.